Sunday, November 26, 2006

New day, new country

My last meal in melbourne: fried egg, carrot and salad sandwich (the bread is pumpkin sourdough from the organic bakery down the road). All leftovers, the last stragglers in the fridge. It looked very photogenic, but my camera was packed.

My first meal in singapore: roti prata (egg, onion) at an all-night kopitiam in Bedok, not far from the airport.

Since then, I've had a fabulous duck soup cooked by my grandma - a clear soup with duck bones and salted vegetables. She cooks it in a large steel pot, the type they use for curries and the meat is so soft that it melts...

Until I learn how to make that, here's a salad. A standard aussie salad, which becomes more exotic (and expensive to get ingredients - check out the price of feta) in singapore.




Feta
Olives
Cherry tomatoes, or chopped
Salad greens (goodbye my beautiful garden, I miss you)
Juice of 1 lemon, and the rind for extra lemoniness
salt
olive oil

No comments: