Tuesday, November 21, 2006

What me cook?

On the express invite of Wy, here I am writing on a food blog!

But wait, me? cook? Huh?

For those who are... ahem... unfamiliar with our hijinks, my name is Nat; and Wy and I have been pals for keryonks.

And most of my friends will normally recoil in sheer surprise and horror at the thought of me cooking, but I have had to learn real quick in the last few months - since I abandoned job, home and family to be here in the US of A with the hubby for a year - and you just have to ahem learn and improvise.

Food - what can I say. It's tied up with our most intimate memories, scrunching down on buah keluak for instance sends me back to the reunion dinners of my childhood where the entire extended family would gather in this tiny flat at Circuit Road; so tiny that we'd take turns at eating from the kitchen table and a few uncles and aunts would always be standing on the periphery munching on some snack like crab legs or ngioh hiangs, while waiting their turn.
Porridge brings back memories of being feebly sick in bed, and pepper crabs brings back the time me and my philo mates went to the crab Nazi in East Coast Road.

I'll post what recipes I'm improvising from this little midwest town but don't expect them to be any good - well, as good as mother's anyway.

My mom and dad just arrived from Sg for a visit, I whipped up brunch (noodles and ahem, luncheon meat cos that's all I have on hand), and they ate three bites and said "erh enough"... obviously, I have *not* arrived in the world of nonya cooks yet.

Okay, post again soon.
Today, I need to bring mom and dad shopping.

*groan*

Nat

No comments: