Thursday, February 08, 2007

Island Creamery

This has got to be the best local ice-cream place in Singapore (that I know of). Half the price of haagen daz and twice as nice. I'm a sucker for new places and besides haagen daz is really expensive - the last I checked, it was almost $20 for a sundae with 2 scoops of ice cream and more whipped cream than actual ingredients.

Island creamery has local flavours like teh tarik (frothy milk tea), pulot hitam (glutinous red rice dessert with coconut), chendol (another coconut dessert drink), horlicks etc. Each scoop is $2.50, compared with $4 or more you pay at other chains.

It is on the way home from work, and I've resisted its charms for the last two months, but faced with impending return, I've decided to heck it and savour.

I tried black sesame ice cream today - the ice cream is crumbly and soft, very unlike gelato which feels stickier. I've also tried pineapple tart last year, and that was nice too. I really want to go back and sample the flavour pear sake..... it has two of my favourite things in it! And they claim no preservatives or eggs are used in all their flavours.

You can read a review by another blogger here and a comparism between scoop shops here.

Dinner options - there seems to be an interesting Japanese western place just next door, and a more posh french restaurant up the road. Or there is always Adam Road hawker centre a 3 min walk away.

No comments: