Saturday, February 03, 2007

loyalty

I've been eating at the same chicken rice stall in my market for at least 15 years. The rice portions have gotten bigger but prices are still the same ($2) and they still use the same yellow-green plates. The lady at the stall has seen me grow up, and I've seen her change as well, from a young girl to someone with less spring in her step, someone who looks tired.

I remember the neighbouring stall too, it was run by an old couple that served zi char (mixed dishes, freshly made) and his sweet and sour fish rocked. Sometimes, the flames from his wok rose above his stall, like serious flambe. I never figured out what dish he was making at the time. The couple sold off their stall when the market was being renovated.

Business isn't so good these days, partly because there are a lot of new chicken rice stalls. There are long queues just two doors away, a new hainanese boneless chicken rice stall, I guess boneless is a big draw, but they only serve the white steamed chicken.

To be fair, the stall I go to doesn't serve the best chicken rice, it is a bit dry, but I can't really try the other stall and not feel guilty, especially since the lady will definitely see me in the queue. Yes, I could get someone to ta pao (order takeaway) the boneless version for me, but what if I really really like it? Then I'm doubly screwed.

Joe has a favourite coffeeshop in the East, and there is also a very good chicken rice chain next door. We can only eat there in the day, when the coffeeshop is not open, for the same reason - he doesn't want to disappoint the coffeeshop auntie by walking there but eating at the other side.

My regular stall is Own Kee Chicken Rice, at Ghim Moh Market, and you can't miss the other chicken rice stall.

and if you're in Singapore, Team Williams just told me about this local food delivery service. Sorry, they don't deliver overseas.

No comments: