Sunday, March 04, 2007

kale is kool


I went to the shops near by to get some salad, but I walked out with a lot more, as you can see. I love kale, so when I saw this I had to pick it up... and guess the price. Just $1.99... for the whole thing! How not to buy?

I've never seen anything so huge. So it's not organic, but until Australia goes nuclear, I think everything is safe.

Of course, part of the unwritten price is the stares I got from everyone on the walk home. It even came in handy as an umbrella as the sun was pretty hot.

But what is more disappointing is that no one seems to know what it is or what to do with it.
The only other person who might appreciate kale as much as I do is up in Darwin on holiday, so it looks I might have to embark on a kale show-n-tell.

It's got a nice green taste like kailan or chye sim, and the texture is similar to cabbage or broccoli leaves.

Anyhow, here are a couple of good ideas:
kale with chickpeas and lemon juice
done like spinach on toast

You can also make a mean minestrone with the stalks for stock and the leaves in place of cabbage.

No comments: